Lewis Mull loved adventure and believed there should be a place where others like him could go and find the quality outdoor gear they needed. With this vision in mind, he started Backwoods in 1973. And over the years, we have evolved. Lewis' daughter Jennifer, CEO since 2003, has taken Backwoods and expanded its reach without losing the original authenticity.
Backwoods has always been an exclusive portal to adventure. It is known as the place to find experts on everything adventurous. And now people of many interests – those who climb tall mountains, those who have never set foot on a trail, those who travel the world, and those who travel downtown – will all discover that Backwoods is the perfect place for them. These adventurers find travel gear and accessories, technical outdoor equipment, and casual clothing and footwear with that special, adventurous flair. Make a visit to Backwoods your next urban adventure
At Backwoods, we believe in what we sell. Our business is a lifestyle and we choose to embrace it wholeheartedly. We are all adventurers. We are all a part of the community that makes us unique. We are all in it together. We're looking for others like us. People who can contribute, grow, dream and evolve with us. Embark on the adventure...
Backwoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Accordingly, we promote equal opportunity in the areas of recruitment, employment, training, development, transfer and promotion. Our employment practices are without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, disability or medical condition, national origin, veteran status and all other categories protected by federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws. Backwoods will not tolerate the harassment of or discrimination against one employee by another. It is our policy to maintain an environment free of intimidation, insult, harassment and discrimination based upon race, color, religion, sex, age, national original or disability.
Current Job Openings (click to view application)
Backwoods in Austin, Texas is currently seeking a Point of Sale/Web Administrator.
The Point of Sale/Web Administrator is responsible for the daily tasks associated with the continued use of the point of sale (POS) system as well as for the website backend. This includes looking for ways to improve efficiencies within each system and overall system availability. The requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Strong IT background with server and desktop skills.
- Previous experience with POS systems, ideally Retail Pro.
- Previous experience working with Magento .
- Experience with help desk software.
- Experience with relational databases would be a plus.
- Strong ability to be self-directed.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Exemplary communication skills.
- Ability to operate within a team environment working across diverse departments.
Position Title: Fly Fishing Sales Associate
Last Revised: July 22, 2014
Within the structure of Backwoods, the Fly Fishing Sales Associate plays an important role in achieving the department’s sales goals and is offered the opportunity for personal growth focused help and training. The fly fishing sales associate brings with them the ability to be a self-starter, is easily approached by staff and customers, learns and uses the Backwoods Steps of the Sale (G.E.A.R.), and has a desire to reach personal goals and objectives.
The Fly Fishing Sales Associate is considered the store’s expert on fly fishing. He or she will be the go-to person when questions arise about the department and will help customers with choosing products while offering (when needed) useful advice on how certain products are used along with fishing techniques and fishing locations. The fly fishing sales associate will assist in the completion of tasks and duties when directed by his or her supervisor. Backwoods operates as a team and its success is a sum of all staff.
- Showing, demonstrating and selling fly fishing products while striving to achieve set personal sales goals.
- Maintains the fly fishing department in a clean and functional manner according to Backwoods standards.
- Re-stocking of all available fly fishing products from the stockroom.
- Responsible for ongoing visual presentation of the fly fishing department.
- Makes suggestions of product and materials to bring into the department.
- Ensures the department is fully stocked with display models of major departmental offerings (i.e. Rods, Reels, Waders etc.) and ensures the maintenance of products displayed on days worked.
- Assists in department price changes and transfers.
- Keeps up to date concerning fly fishing seasons and trends.
- Shares feedback from customers comments or concerns with the fly fishing manager in a timely and meaningful fashion.