Lewis Mull loved adventure and believed there should be a place where others like him could go and find the quality outdoor gear they needed. With this vision in mind, he started Backwoods in 1973. And over the years, we have evolved. Lewis' daughter Jennifer, CEO since 2003, has taken Backwoods and expanded its reach without losing the original authenticity.
Backwoods has always been an exclusive portal to adventure. It is known as the place to find experts on everything adventurous. And now people of many interests – those who climb tall mountains, those who have never set foot on a trail, those who travel the world, and those who travel downtown – will all discover that Backwoods is the perfect place for them. These adventurers find travel gear and accessories, technical outdoor equipment, and casual clothing and footwear with that special, adventurous flair. Make a visit to Backwoods your next urban adventure
At Backwoods, we believe in what we sell. Our business is a lifestyle and we choose to embrace it wholeheartedly. We are all adventurers. We are all a part of the community that makes us unique. We are all in it together. We're looking for others like us. People who can contribute, grow, dream and evolve with us. Embark on the adventure...
Backwoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Accordingly, we promote equal opportunity in the areas of recruitment, employment, training, development, transfer and promotion. Our employment practices are without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, disability or medical condition, national origin, veteran status and all other categories protected by federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws. Backwoods will not tolerate the harassment of or discrimination against one employee by another. It is our policy to maintain an environment free of intimidation, insult, harassment and discrimination based upon race, color, religion, sex, age, national original or disability.
Current Job Openings (click to view application)
Backwoods in Norman, Oklahoma is currently seeking an Assistant Store Manager.
The Assistant Store manager is responsible for supporting sales, operations and managing the store in the absence of the General Manager. The Assistant Store manager brings with him or her ability to be a self-starter, is easily approached by staff and customers, consistently uses Backwoods Steps of the Sale (G.E.A.R.) and shares the Summit Project ownership with the General Manager. The requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- A natural ability to engage, persuade and motivate others.
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills.
- The ability to generate sales and drive sales growth.
- Outstanding customer service standards and success creating memorable customer experiences.
- A passion for the outdoors and a desire to share that passion with others
- A good eye for visual merchandising.
- Consistent coaching of Sales Associates.
- Recruit, hire, train and maintain a quality staff.
The Assistant Store manager’s time is going to be divided between overseeing the Sales Associates as well as the Operations Associate. The majority of their time is sales-related in managing the leads and floor sales associates. The Assistant Manager will have the day to day responsibility of running the sales floor, monitoring staff performance, making merchandising decisions and communicating with the General Manager on any and all staffing needs, product needs and resolving any customer service issues. They will help support the Operations Associate with any needs that they have as it relates to vendor or customer resolution of issues.
The Assistant Manager is to assist in the completion of tasks and duties when assistance is needed as directed by his or her supervisor. Backwoods operates as a team and its success is a sum of all staff.
Position Title: Fly Fishing Sales Associate
Last Revised: July 22, 2014
Within the structure of Backwoods, the Fly Fishing Sales Associate plays an important role in achieving the department’s sales goals and is offered the opportunity for personal growth focused help and training. The fly fishing sales associate brings with them the ability to be a self-starter, is easily approached by staff and customers, learns and uses the Backwoods Steps of the Sale (G.E.A.R.), and has a desire to reach personal goals and objectives.
The Fly Fishing Sales Associate is considered the store’s expert on fly fishing. He or she will be the go-to person when questions arise about the department and will help customers with choosing products while offering (when needed) useful advice on how certain products are used along with fishing techniques and fishing locations. The fly fishing sales associate will assist in the completion of tasks and duties when directed by his or her supervisor. Backwoods operates as a team and its success is a sum of all staff.
- Showing, demonstrating and selling fly fishing products while striving to achieve set personal sales goals.
- Maintains the fly fishing department in a clean and functional manner according to Backwoods standards.
- Re-stocking of all available fly fishing products from the stockroom.
- Responsible for ongoing visual presentation of the fly fishing department.
- Makes suggestions of product and materials to bring into the department.
- Ensures the department is fully stocked with display models of major departmental offerings (i.e. Rods, Reels, Waders etc.) and ensures the maintenance of products displayed on days worked.
- Assists in department price changes and transfers.
- Keeps up to date concerning fly fishing seasons and trends.
- Shares feedback from customers comments or concerns with the fly fishing manager in a timely and meaningful fashion.